In Spain, 4CE-MED aims to introduce camelina in the rotations of low-production areas, especially arid and semi-arid drylands (below 3000 kg/ha) in the Mediterranean basin, providing alternatives to farmers.
Within the framework of the project, a series of trials coordinated by Camelina Company will be carried out in Spain.
The following questions were discussed in the Spanish Panel Meeting where : Is camelina a promising agronomic alternative for semi-arid areas?; Does it have an interesting market?; What are the barriers to their development? (e.g. legal, agronomic, logistical, market, etc.); What actions would be interesting to implement in Spain to promote its development? The main results collected of this first meeting of the Spanish platform were:
- To incorporate direct sowing.
- To consider to analyze residuality problems (herbicides).
- To quantify agri-environmental benefits as an improving species for increased farmer awareness.
- To evaluate the conditions for replacing failed crops with camelina.
- Orientation of camelina to the animal feed market (protein plan).